No Gym? No Sweat. Fight the queues at the gym and invest in some dumbbells. The exercises you can do with these are versatile and require little room space. Incorporate our top 5 morning dumbbell exercises into your routine to help improve your health and fitness performance.
Exercise 1 – Forward Lunge
This exercise requires a lot of balance and will focus mainly on your quad muscles. Be careful with the weight of your dumbbells. Once you have picked the right weight, hold one in each of your hands, down by your side. Next:
- Pick a leg and lunge forward. Be careful not to lunge too far – your knee should not go beyond your toes. Maintain your balance and hold in place for 15 seconds.
- Using the heel of your foot, push your body up into the starting stand position.
- Repeat this process on the opposite leg and do for 45 seconds.
Exercise 2 – Tricep Extension
This is a great exercise for your triceps.
- Sitting upright, grab a dumbbell with both of your hands, making sure your grip is tight.
- Raise it above your hand, aligned with your spine.
- Squeeze your core and lower the weight behind you.
- Your upper arms should remain stationary during this exercise.
Exercise 3 – Wrist Curl
This exercise will work on your biceps
- Either sitting down or bent slightly over, lean forward and ensuring your shoulders and feet are parallel.
- With your forearms resting on your thighs, grab a dumbbell and ensure your palms are facing upwards and your wrist hanging slightly over your knees.
- Curl the weights up as far as you can manage. Curl up and down, completing 15 on each arm.
Exercise 4 – Single Arm Bent-Over Row
This is a great all-round arm workout
- Place your left leg and arm on a bench to gain balance.
- In the opposite hand, grab your dumbbell and hold it at arm’s length. It should be hanging above the floor.
- Lower your back to start, and pull the weight up and down to your chest.
- Repeat this 10 times on each arm.
Exercise 5 – Side Raise
This is a good workout for your biceps, triceps and upper back.
- Stand tall with your arms and legs parallel
- Hold the dumbbells so they hang by your sides with your palms facing inwards.
- Create a slight bend in your elbows and raise your arms outwards until your arms are horizontal.
- Repeat this exercise 20 times
Get your favorite health, beauty and wellness products at Watsons. Shop online here!