Eating a healthy, balanced diet is the best way to get adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals. However, because of lifestyle-related factors or certain health conditions, some individuals may need to consult their doctor about taking supplements.
There are a variety of supplements, which when combined with a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle, can promote overall health and wellness.
FOR IMMUNE SUPPORT
- Vitamin D and Zinc help optimize the immune system to fight viral infections such as COVID 19, and lower the risk of developing severe illness.
- Vitamin C supports the production of antibodies that help shorten the course of infections such as the common cold.
- Beta glucans help regulate the immune system in destroying disease-causing pathogens.
- Acai berry is rich in anthocyanins that help boost immunity and lower inflammation in the body.
- Turmeric contains curcumin, which helps activate immune cells such as T cells and B cells thus improving overall immune function.
FOR LIVER HEALTH
- Silymarin and Phospholipids have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can help protect liver cells.
- Glutathione helps to reduce liver cell damage.
FOR SLEEP ENHANCERS
- Some people who have trouble sleeping have low levels of melatonin. Melatonin is a naturally-occurring hormone that plays a role in sleep. Its production and release in the brain is connected to the time of day – increasing when it’s dark and decreasing when it’s light.
- Teas extracted from natural plants such as chamomile, lavender and mint are caffeine-free and can have a calming effect that promotes sleep.
FOR EYE HEALTH
- Blueberry, bilberry, raspberry, and strawberry are rich in antioxidant and have anti-inflammatory properties that prevent eye cell damage, strengthen blood circulation and lower blood sugar levels. These berries help slow the progression of retinopathy, a diabetes complication that can result to permanent blindness.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin act as a natural sunblock by absorbing excess light energy and protecting your eyes from harmful blue light.
- Alpha lipoic acid (ALA) is an antioxidant that has potential benefits for late-stage age-related macular degeneration as well as other eye diseases.
FOR HEART HEALTH
- Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil help lower levels of artery-clogging cholesterol and triglycerides, which reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Xanthones and xanthone derivatives have been shown to help prevent hypertension and cardiovascular disease.
- CoQ10 helps improve heart-related conditions such as hypertension by neutralizing free radicals, increasing the production of energy in cells, and preventing the formation of blood clots.
- Lycopene is a potent antioxidant that helps lower cholesterol and reduce your risk for heart disease.
Consult your doctor on whether supplements are right for you.
Shop at Watsons for vitamins, supplements and other essential healthcare needs.